DIY: How to Replace your Toilet Fill Valve

22 April 2017

Minor plumbing problems are easy enough to fix if you have the right tools and a bit of courage.  Knowing how to repair plumbing problems yourself can save you some money since you don't have to hire someone else to do it for you.  I've replaced our faulty toilet fill valve on my own before and I found it to be easy enough.  You actually just have to follow the instructions on the package! LOL  Here's how the kids and I did it.













I noticed that our toilet was leaking a couple of days earlier.  I removed the lid from the water closet and I noticed that the water was continuously flowing into it and spilling because the fill valve was broken.  How did I know that that was the problem?  If the water was leaking into the toilet bowl, I knew that the water was coming from the flapper (that thing that lets in water into the toilet bowl when you push on the flush lever) if the flapper wasn't positioned correctly.  Water would continuously flow into the bowl if the flapper wasn't closed tightly over the hole.  So, that wasn't the problem.  Water kept flowing into the water closet because the fill valve was no longer stopping the water when it reached its set level.

Here's the broken fill valve.  I also checked the hose connecting the water closet to the pipe, just in case, and decided to replace it anyway.



So, I knew what had to be replaced.  I brought the broken fill valve and hose to the store so I have a reference when asking for help and to make sure that I get it right the first time so I don't have to come back and have it replaced if it's not the right size or product.  I learned my lesson when I had to DIY plumbing problems before :)

I got a new hose and a replacement for the faulty fill valve.  There was another, more complete toilet repair kit which included the flapper but I didn't get that because I didn't need it.



Okay, so now we get to brass tacks.  I read the back of the package carefully.  I asked Dana and Dylan to watch while I do it so at least they'll have an idea of how to do it when they're older.  Oh, and don't forget to shut your water supply before you do your repairs.   Also, I guess I need to mention that you have to remove the water in the tank ;) You can simply flush it and just sponge off the remaining water in the tank.


1.  Detach the Refill Tube

The refill tube is the hose that connects the fill valve to the overflow tube and it basically lets water get into the toilet bowl.  Since it's connected to the fill valve, you have to remove it in order to totally remove the fill valve from the water closet.

2.  Detach the water hose

You also have to detach the water hose that directs water into the tank.  It's directly connected to the fill valve on the underside of the tank.

3.  Remove the old fill valve

To remove the old fill valve, you have to unscrew the lock nut that secures it  to the tank and it's located under the water closet.  Once the lock nut is removed, you can easily lift the old fill valve and set it aside.

4.  Installing the new fill valve

Simply insert it into the fill valve hole and screw the lock nut tightly in place.

5.  Adjust the height of the fill valve

Most fill valves have adjustable heights to accommodate different types of water closets.  In this product, I just needed to twist the body counterclockwise to unlock it and just raise it to my desired height.  Then, simply turn it back clockwise (this time) to lock it.

6.  Attach the refill tube/refill regulator

The package came with a new refill tube that had a refill regulator.  Supposedly, the regulator increases/decreases the water flow which can save water.  Just clip it onto the overflow pipe and connect it to the fill valve.

7.  Adjust the float rod

The float rod sets the desired water level for the tank.  In this toilet repair kit, I only had to rotate the float rod to adjust the height of the float rod.

Now that's it.  All that's left is to re-connect the water hose to the water tank and turn the water back on.  If you're lucky, you'll succeed in one try.  I had to re-adjust the float road a couple of times :)

Basically, it's that easy.  You may want to pick a cooler time of the day to do your repairs because it can get hot in the bathroom haha :)  I hope this helps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave your thoughts :)