Cuatro - A Well-Loved and Cherished Pet

02 July 2021


Cuatro our beloved pet cat has died today.  It was such a surprise because he was visually getting better and then suddenly his health deteriorated and in a blink of an eye, he was gone.












To be honest, we've had many pets over the years and I can't remember ever being so upset at any of their deaths since they were mostly my Mom's pets. I didn't really "care" for them, as if I were their owner. It's more of them living in my house, they're my housemates, but I'm not in charge of their well-being, so I'm not really attached to them, mostly because I'm asthmatic and allergic to them, so I just stay away to avoid triggering any attacks. 

But with Cuatro, it's different. While he and his siblings were "our" cats and they were all born in the house, he has a special place in my heart because he's the sweetest among them. He's also the most curious. As you can see, he made this plant his bed! :D



One time, he and his brother Cinco disappeared! We didn't know what happened and we searched everywhere for them. Their mom must have taken them someplace else, but the next day, they were back! They were wet from the rain and had terrible red-rimmed eyes.


After that incident, they were both closer to everyone and would almost always be by our side, whether we were on the couch or sleeping in bed. 



Despite being always in our midst, we were still surprised that he became sick. We never noticed anything wrong with him until one day, he was suddenly walking weirdly and we immediately brought him to the vet. A dextrose was attached to him for about four days and he was on medication for about two weeks. 


He was getting better. I know he was. At first, he couldn't really move like he was really weak but when he finished the dextrose, we got him back to the vet and they took it off. He was able to move and eat a little, after that.  Of course, we would literally spoon-feed him to make sure that he was eating well and he really liked that. 

Then, he went for another checkup, maybe after a month since he got sick. When he came home, he was listless and like, stressed. It was such a drastic change from his better countenance before the vet visit. 

And then, he started having seizures and it was like seeing what happened to Patrick happen to Cuatro. I knew then where we were headed. I tried to prepare the kids for the inevitable and they were devastated. 

He died on the afternoon of July 2nd, 2021. He died in my arms with a strong meow like he knew it was going to be his last goodbye. It was heartbreaking...

  

It seemed that his siblings Cinco and George also sensed his passing. They both stayed with me on the bed. For a while after he was gone, they both went around the house looking for him. 



Cuatro, I do love you and I miss you. You were only with us for a short time but it was full of fun and love. I feel so sad that you were gone too soon but you will never be forgotten. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave your thoughts :)