Applying for our Passports at the DFA (Dept. of Foreign Affairs) Part 1: Preparation

16 May 2010

When I realized that my passport was expiring on June 2011, I immediately made plans to renew it.  I knew that all renewal and new passport applications have to be coursed through the new DFA passport scheduling system, either via online or through their call center.  When Patrick applied for his own passport last 2010, he was part of the last batch that was processed at the old DFA building along Roxas Boulevard so I knew that come the start of the year 2011, all passport applications will be processed at the new building in Aseana Business Park in Paranaque City.   Here's the map.

Now, of course, with the Internet at my disposal, I went to the DFA's website: www.dfa.gov.ph and was then forwarded to the DFA Passport Appointment System.  From here, you can find everything that you need to know about applying for a new passport or renewing one.  Then, I thought that since I was going to the DFA anyway, I might as well get Dana, Dylan and Den their own passports as well.  Kind of like, killing two birds with one stone.  I took down all the requirements needed for everyone and promptly made an online appointment that day, March 10, 2011.  The earliest date available via the DFA scheduling was May 16th.  

PASSPORT APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
I had to renew my green passport so I only needed a few requirements, as taken from the Documentary Requirements of the DFA:

Green Passport or issued after 01 May 1995

  • Present passport and photocopy of pages 1,2,3 (amendment) and last page.
  • The pages showing latest Bureau of Immigration departure and arrival stamps.
  • Photocopy of Birth Certificate for minor applicants.
  • For illegitimate minor, personal appearance of mother is required.
Dana, Dylan and Den were first-time applicants and needed the following requirements, as taken from the Documentary Requirements of the DFA:  Of course, requirements may be more or less depending on the applicant's case so you can check the website I've given above to see which category you fall under. 


  • NSO Birth Certificate
  • Valid ID's (not required for minors)
  • Personal Appearance of the mother (since Dana and Dylan are illegitimate (ooh, sounds nasty hahaha)  Den is no longer a minor so personal appearance of her mother isn't necessary.  Like I said, 
I also prepared the original and photocopies of their Baptismal certificates and their ID's from school just in case.  It's better to bring all the supporting documents you can think of rather than have to go back because you didn't bring them with you and they want them.

ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM
When I've checked and double-checked the requirements and have estimated the time it will take to accomplish them (I needed to get new copies of their birth certificates from the NSO) I was ready to make the appointment.  Here is where set your appointment if you're only applying for a single individual -  Online Passport Application System.  But, they also give you the option of applying as a family so you only have one date and you're scheduled together.  Here's where you do it - Family Application

From what I remember, you need to fill out the forms for each applicant that you're including in your family application.  Once you're done, you will need to print out these forms (in long bond paper) including the "Important Reminders" page.  Without this, you will not gain entry into the DFA.  Here is what it looks like:


Just to be on the safe side, you need to save this file so you have a back-up copy when you need to print it again (if you misplace it or something)

Now, all I had to do was get the documentary requirements ready, prepare the P950 per passport fee, prepare the P120 delivery per passport fee (this is optional) and wait for the scheduled date.

2 comments:

  1. is your printed form fit in the long bond paper? because mine has an excess space below...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It fit the way it should, it doesn't matter if there's excess space as long as the information is clearly printed on the sheet, it's fine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave your thoughts :)