COVID-19 Chronicles: ECQ/Lockdown Part 1

07 March 2020

It was January 2020 when the world was rocked to its core by the announcement that there was a new virus named COVID-19, claiming lives first in Wuhan, China and then spreading to the rest of the world.  

In the Philippines, it was March 5 when the first local transmission was confirmed, prompting the government to take action to prevent the spread of the disease.  Here are some of the events that happened, from a local point of view. 

I wrote this to record how it was when it happened.  How it affected our lives.  How it seemed surreal at first like we're all in the middle of a movie, unraveling at such a fast pace.

Note:  I wrote about these events not as they happened but on hindsight because I was just too shell-shocked to even comprehend what was going on at that time.  




Life was pretty normal for us until March 07 when the news broke that the Department of Health has declared a Code Red Sub Level 1 (the term itself raises anxiety and nervousness, doesn't it?).  As you see in the pictograph, it is triggered by the confirmation of at least one local transmission.  At this point, honestly, I thought it's just news and that I wasn't really going to be affected by it.  Life goes on.  In fact, by Monday, Dana had her Final Exams and we even went to Dylan's scheduled doctor's check-up.  In Cubao, people were going about their business like it was a normal day.  

However, we were all suddenly thrust into reality when Dylan's doctor's visit was suddenly cancelled an hour before the appointment because doctors were apparently being called to emergency meetings to be brought up to speed regarding the virus.  That same day, Mayor Isko Moreno of Manila suspends classes for one week!  Since Dana had exams, she only had to be in school for a half-day and she was already at home when the announcement was released.  At first, everyone was happy,  as students often are when classes are suspended.  Nobody knew that was the last they would see each other in school.  In fact, most of their stuff were left in their lockers in school and it was a long time before we were able to go back and get them.


Tuesday, March 10, Patrick and I even went to our favorite computer store to have our PC looked at and repaired.  The topic people were talking about was COVID-19 and that we should stock up on supplies just to be sure because nobody knew what was going to happen in the future.  

True enough, March 12 was when the DOH raised the alert to SubLevel 2.  Dylan and I still went to his Occupational Therapy but there's this tension as we walked to the Center.  Some people were going around with masks on and I felt like maybe we should've put on a mask because we didn't.  Most people stayed home as we found out when we got to Trails.  The Center was almost empty, the other children cancelled on their sessions.  

The next day, March 13, President Duterte put the entire National Capital Region (NCR) and the Luzon region on Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ), or as some called it "Lockdown".  The ECQ was initially until April 14.  What did the ECQ mean for us residents of Manila?

  • Classes remained suspended until April 12.
  • A curfew was imposed from 8PM to 5AM.
  • Malls and other similar establishments were temporarily closed and only supermarkets, groceries, drug stores, food establishments with delivery services and other stores that provide essential goods were open to the public.
  • Public transportation was shut down.  
  • Locally, only one member per family/household was allowed to go out and was required to present their Home Quarantine Pass when entering said establishments.
  • Wearing of masks was compulsory when going out.
Here's what was pinned to our gate when I ventured outside to buy supplies.  (Forgive the printing.)  Essentially, we can only go out between 5AM and 8AM, 10 AM to 2PM and 5PM to 8PM.  This goes for both residents on foot and in their vehicles.


Our local barangay officials went around, house to house, to create a masterlist of Household Representatives who will be allowed to go out for supply runs and gave each representative this Home Quarantine Pass.  


One good thing about people staying home and when no vehicles were on the road since the start of the lockdown, the sky was clear both day and night.



What wasn't good was the lines that you have to put up with if you want to go to the grocery or the supermarket.  The line below was snaking around the kiosks.  I stood in line for about an hour before I got inside only to find that all the alcohol, bread and instant noodles were gone and most of the vegetables and fruits were all sold out.  People were beginning to panic buy.

As I got in the supermarket, there was this sense of urgency, panic and frenzy.  It's inexplicable.  It's irrational.  In my head I was going through my grocery list but I headed to the meat section first.  I figured I needed meat to cook and other raw ingredients because we weren't allowed to go out.  I was able to buy meat but I was unsuccessful with the veggies.  I barely finished my list because there wasn't enough stock and they've put a limit on what you're allowed to buy.  As I was headed to the cashier, I passed the meat section again and to my surprise, almost all of the meat was gone!  I was shocked to say the least.  There were only about 30 minutes since I was there and there was a lot then.  Now, it's all gone!  Good for other people who have the finances to stock up for about a month with what they were able to purchase.  



Since I wasn't able to buy any vegetables from the grocery, I was forced to walk about a kilometer to the nearest local market the next day.  That wasn't a problem initially because I loved to walk.  The problem was coming back with about 10 kilos worth of produce and other meat products.  That's so heavy!! And it was the middle of the day haha  Man, my legs were shaking by the time I came home.  


Also, this was that time that my paranoia was extreme.  My heart was beating so fast as I ventured out of our house.  I was enveloped by a sense of fear that I was going to get infected, that I may infect the people in my house when I get back from my supply run.  As I walked and if I see people ahead of me, I crossed the road to avoid them.  Yes, I was that paranoid.  

So, what did I do?  Before venturing out, I planned what I was going to bring - my phone, quarantine pass, valid IDs, money, recyclable bags and alcohol.  I used a small bag for everything.  When I paid, I put whatever change I received in my pockets so they won't mix with the "clean" bills and coins.  I was constantly telling myself, "Don't touch your face.  Don't touch your face.", because I'm a face toucher.  It's like a habit and with this virus present in the environment, I didn't want to risk it.  As soon as I got back, I went straight to the bathroom and took a shower.  All the clothes that I was wearing, I washed them immediately.  I sprayed with clorox everything that I brought with me.  I washed everything that I bought.  It was tedious.  It was tiring but for me, necessary.

The next day, we received a care package from our barangay.  It contained rice, alcohol in a spray bottle and a small bar of soap. That was also another purpose of the Home Quarantine Pass.  You're eligible for these relief packages if you have one.

 

April 06,  I went to another grocery, Wellcome Supermarket, about the same distance as the local market.  As is the norm, I waited in line, this time for only 15 minutes, but faced with empty shelves yet again.




At this point, I was lucky to find a local online group on Facebook for my area.  There were plenty of vendors from the local fresh market that have opened their stores for delivery within our area.  This was where I got my fish, chicken, meat, veggies and other food products for a minimal delivery fee.  It was great because I didn't have to go out.  Also, it's like I'm also supporting their livelihood by buying from them.

April 07, we received financial aid from our City in the amount of P1000.  Each family in Manila received theirs.


So what else do you occupy yourselves with during this lockdown period?  One, you cultivate your plants.  Not only is it relaxing but you can grow your own food as well.  Everyone is on their toes because paychecks are not coming because everyone has stopped working.  It's scary crazy.  


Also, it was the perfect time to start with household DIY improvements that you've been putting off.  So, here we were finally able to paint Dana's closet that was finished in December but was still bare of paint haha

  

Dylan was also up to the task.  He started sorting his toys :)


Dana also painted this once-black shelf with the remaining paint. :)


And so ends this first part of the ECQ chronicles which happened between March 2020 and April 14, 2020.

The Enhanced Community Quarantine was extended by President Duterte until April 30 and I will write about that period in the next post.  
















 






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave your thoughts :)