Getting our new Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) birth certificates from the Sta. Mesa branch

30 May 2018

I don't remember where I heard that you can no longer use your National Statistics Office (NSO) civil registry documents since the PSA or the Phiilippine Statistics Authority will now take over.  But I knew that if this were true, most government agencies will now require you to submit PSA documents and that I have to prepare for such a necessity.  Here's what I did to get our new Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) birth certificates from the Sta. Mesa branch.








Republic Act No. 10625 (Philippine Statistical Act of 2013) was signed into law by President Aquino on September 2013.  What this did was merge the National Statistics Office (NSO), National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB), Bureau of Labor and Employment Statistics (BLES) and the Bureau of Agricultural Statistics (BAS) into the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).  Thus, PSA shall become the central statistical authority of the Philippine Government and all civil registry documents (i.e. birth certificate/ROB, marriage certificate/ROM, death certificate/ROD, CENOMAR) shall now be issued by them. 

When I found this out, I knew that it was imperative that we secure our PSA documents ASAP.  I initially checked online, with the www.nsoserbilis.com.ph (now www.psaserbilis.com.ph) hoping that I can order our documents from them and avoid the hassle of actually going to the service outlets.  There, I discovered that they also raised the service fees to P330 per copy of each civil registry document!! Wow! I was surprised because it was double the cost if you were to physically go to a service outlet.  That made me think twice about ordering online.  

But then, after more research, I found out that they turned the old Philippine Statistics Office building in Sta. Mesa into a Civil Registration Central Outlet and I thought, "Yes, that's so close to me, I can easily walk to it!" and so I made my plans to visit.  

The first time I tried was a Wednesday at 9AM.  To my dismay, when I got near the building, the line was already snaking around the corner and beyond.  I saw people lined up with umbrellas clutching their envelopes and looking so miserable in the heat.  I thought, "Nope, not gonna do that."

So, I went again on a Wednesday but this time, I was there at exactly 8AM.  I thought it's likely going to be less crowded if I'm one of the earliest to arrive.  True enough, I was able to get in immediately but there already was a crowd inside.  I thought they must have opened earlier or these people were lined up even before 8AM.  

Step 1 involved getting the forms (Ground Floor)

This was quite fast, although I did wonder why we had to get the forms from a Window at all.  They could just leave the forms for people to just walk up and take or better yet, allow the forms to be downloaded so that people can just arrive with filled out forms.  Saves time.

One tip that I want to share is that fill out your forms while lined up.  There is a considerable waiting time between getting your form and getting to the verification counter.  It should be enough for you to fill out your forms.  If you fill out your forms without lining up, it's like letting other people pass you by.  For instance, it took me 30 minutes from the time I arrived and got my forms and the time I got up to the 2nd floor.   

Step 2 - Part 1 - involved lining up for verification (Ground Floor)  

We were divided into 2 groups - boys and girls, I don't know why, but each group had about 10 seats in a row and possibly 10 rows in the space.  That would round it out to 100 girls and 100 boys waiting at a time just to get to the next step.  This does not include those who were still waiting in line.  We were then asked to go up in groups of 5 rows.  At that time, some of us were asked accompanied to the next building, I suppose, there were processing centers there too.   

Also, while we were seated and waiting, the staff never failed to remind everyone to check their IDs and authorization letters.  This is to ensure that once you get up to the verification process, everything will go smoothly and you won't be wasting your time.

Step 2 - Part 2 - Moving up to the 2nd Floor

After about 30 minutes of waiting at the Ground Floor, our group was asked to move up and proceed to verification.  This was where it was more comfortable because it was a huge space and air conditioned.  There were also a lot of seats. You just have to keep moving forward, chair by chair until you reach the desks.

At that time, there were only two (2) officers who were verifying the forms and the supporting documents.  Lines were divided if you had authorization letters or not.  Obviously, that lane was slow-going as they were very strict with the checking.  But for people like me, who didn't need authorization letters (because I was a parent and getting the documents for my children), it was easy sailing.  It took about 6-10 minutes for me to get to the verification counter, get my request approved and given a queue number for payment of the documents.

Verification lines and desk
Step 3 - Payment (2nd Floor)

After my forms have been approved for processing, next step is linig up for payment and basically waiting for your turn.  The security guard informed us that our queue numbers were mainly for reference because as we get to the payment windows, we may be dispersed depending on the queues.  They were continuously reminding everyone about it because apparently, the day before, there were people who fought over the queue numbers.

Well, it took me about an hour with this step.  When you reach the payment windows, it can go fast or slow depending on the queue at the window you lined up for.  It can go fast if the people in your queue are only paying for one civil registry document.  If you're unlucky, there may be someone in your queue who is getting more than one copy, or a set of documents for different people.    Each request has to be input into their system so that takes time.  I was unlucky at this point.



Facing the Payment queues and windows
Step 4 - Claiming (2nd Floor)

We are now on the home stretch.  You can relax a bit now that it's just another waiting game.  You have to wait for your request to be called out.  I mistakenly thought that our documents will be given together, like as a set.  But it turned out, they will be given individually and you have to line up separately for each one. 

It was kind of a dilemma because when they called my name, I lined up at the appropriate window and in the next instance, they called Dana's name for another window.  Fortunately though, these windows were next to each other and as I neared my own window, the other window finished distributing most of the documents and I was able to just reach out and present my official receipt without having to leave my own queue.  By the time I finished claiming Dana's, it was my turn to claim mine from my own window.  I had to wait a few more minutes for Dylan's documents.




The whole process took me two hours, more or less.  I suppose that was a good thing.  My dad, who used his senior citizen privileges the week before took 4 hours to get his done.  He arrived 1PM so he encountered a lot of people and that it was really an ordeal because of the heat and the crowd. 

I can attest to the heat.  As I was leaving from the cool and comfortable second floor and I came back down to the waiting area, the heat assaulted me like a ton of bricks.  It's not just that the air conditioner can't handle the number of people in the area but the heat from the exterior of the building is coming through in waves. 

May I also suggest that you don't bring companions with you when you get your documents unless they're absolutely necessary, like say for your mobility.  They'll just be made to wait outside the building and it's extremely uncomfortable.

I am dismayed at the huge disparity in the cost of documents between physical and online ordering.  It could've made a big difference in the affordability, convenience and comfort of people.  Although if you really need the documents in a jiffy, then you have no alternative but to go directly to the source.  Online ordering and delivery takes a week or maybe longer. 

Hope this post helps you guys get an idea of how it is to get your civil registry documents at the PSA Sta. Mesa branch.  Thanks.

8 comments:

  1. Why do we have to pay for an employee's misspelling of our name? we submitted each letter clearly and correctly, but a letter of our name was still incorrect when we received it. this is not fair to poor people like us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that it can be a hassle and it can be inconvenient to go through the process. I thinl the local government (City or Municipal Hall) offers services that can help if it's just a misspelling.

      Delete
  2. hinahanap ko talaga yung tawag sa system nila-yung diba may number tas ilalabas sa monitor yung current transaction. tankfully you mentioned queue number and nung sinearch ko, it was called queue management system pala hehe. antagal ko ring hinanap yun lol thank youu

    ReplyDelete
  3. PSA service is even worse for those requesting from abroad..took 2 months 2 arrive due to pandemic which Im thinking its just an excuse.. not worth the money fro 20 US dollars for 1 copy of birth certificate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be such an inconvenience if you're abroad, I'm sure. What other people do is ask their relatives to physically go to the branch on their behalf and then send the docs by courier. But due to this pandemic, it may be difficult too. I'm not sure if the offices are even open now.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave your thoughts :)