Picking up a Parcel from the Philippine Postal Office

03 June 2016

We don't normally get notices to pick up parcels at the Post Office.  Usually, any package that we receive is delivered door to door by couriers because they're faster and they don't get opened.  So, when I received a Postal Notice to pick up something at the Post Office, my first thought was, "Who could possibly have sent me something through postal services?"  My 2nd thought was, "Oh no, I don't want to be overcharged for the package!" There was a time when people were up in arms because they were being charged obscene amounts for packages that were being claimed at the Post Office.  Well, with trepidation in my heart, this is what happened at the Post Office.









We arrived at the Post Office around 230PM.  This was the first time that the kids actually set foot in the building.  Dylan remarked that the building looked like the National Museum.  :)

Anyway, as we entered we looked for Window 124.  Apparently, Window 124 is at the Basement.  From the entrance, there are stairs on the right side that head to it.  On the way, you'll pass restrooms so you know you're on the right track.  At least, the area where the Windows for parcel claims opens to a parking lot so there's air passing through it so it's not stuffy.

Step 1.  Submit your Postal Notice - Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of my postal notice (sorry!).  But this is what you'll need to claim your parcel, including a valid ID.  If you're asking someone else to pick up the package for you, you need to give your Valid ID to your representative and your representative has to have a Valid ID as well.  I gave this Postal Notice and a Valid ID to the clerk at Window 124.  She checked me against my ID and then asked me to take a seat and wait to be called.

Note:  Acceptable Valid ID's can be any one of the following:
* Postal ID
* Driver's License
* Any government-issued ID: SSS (Social Security System), GSIS (Government Service and Insurance System), Philhealth, TIN (Tax Identification Number), UMID (Unified Multi-Purpose ID)
* Passport
* Company or Student ID
* Voter's ID

Step 2. Examination of Parcel - I was seated at a bench across this Window.  This part is the Customs Examination Area where they will open the package or parcel to ascertain how much duties and taxes you need to pay.  This is where I got antsy because there was recent news of overcharging for parcels as they were examined.  And, at this point, I didn't even know what I was picking up!  Anyway, we watched as each of the packages was opened and resealed.  To be honest, I felt like this was invasion of privacy but we have to go through with it.  There were signs that reminded people to bring their invoices, particularly if their parcels were goods purchased online.


When my name was called, I approached this window and they opened my package in front of me.  The workers were pleasant enough.  After checking if what was listed was indeed what was inside, the re-sealed the package and then I was told to move to Window 124 for Releasing.

Step 3. Releasing of Parcel - I waited for a few more minutes.  When my name was called, I went back to Window 124 and held my breath for the amount that I was supposed to pay.  I was asked to pay P112 (which was the normal value, I think).  I paid the amount, signed their logbook and claimed my package.  Whew! We were done! :)

All in all, I think we were there for about 30 minutes.  The opening and re-sealing of the packages is what makes the process take longer.  But at least, I only paid the basic amount.  I was really nervous about that :)

6 comments:

  1. Should at least tell us what valid ID's are accepted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Sorry for not including that bit. I have updated the post to include a list of Valid ID's. Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  2. It does take a lot of time once your package goes back to the warehouse. But I use Delivery services Fort Worth that always come on time and I skip standing in the queue every time. I am glad there is a service like this around me. Anyways, it was very interesting reading this post. I have gone through this a lot earlier but now things are better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello how much po yung value nung parcel nyo at pag send as a gift po ba may tax na babayaran?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the value of the package I received as a gift. But it was cheap because it was bought on sale, as far as I remember. Nagbayad pa rin ako ng P112 even though it was sent as a gift...

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave your thoughts :)